I must admit I have recently found myself obsessed with blueberries. Last week I decided to try out a new recipe that incorporated the yummy berries. I came across Half Baked Harvest’s Blueberry Lemon Poppy Seed Scones. I changed a few things in the recipe just because I didn’t quite have all the ingredients at hand but boy did they still come out delicious!
They’re utter perfection- great as a breakfast treat or evening snack.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, grated on a box grater just like cheese 1 stick
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk + more for brushing
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, plus more if needed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice + reserve the zest
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line 1-2 baking sheets (depending on the size) with parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and toss with the flour. Add the egg, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix with hands or a spoon until just combined, being careful not to over mix. Toss in the blueberries and lemon zest.
Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and then pat into 1-inch-thick square. Cut the dough into triangles. Place pieces, about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Brush each piece with buttermilk.
Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let the scones cool slightly and then drizzle with the lemon poppy seed glaze (see below). Serve warm with butter & enjoy!